Smart Vent Foundation and Crawl Space Flood Vents
Reduce your flood insurance costs & protect your foundation
- The changes will mean premium rate increases for some – but, not all — policyholders over time.
- The new law encourages Program financial stability by eliminating some artificially low rates and discounts.
- Most flood insurance rates will now move to reflect full risk, and rates will rise in some policies.
- Subsidized rates for certain other classes of properties will be eliminated over time, beginning in late 2013.
- FEMA can help communities lower flood risk and flood insurance premiums.
Superstorm Sandy made everyone more aware of the damage that can be caused by flooding –especially in areas close to the ocean. Because meteorologists are predicting an increase in extreme weather in the future, it’s smart to protect your home from damage caused by floodwaters.
Having SMART VENT Flood Vents installed can help to prevent your foundation from being severely damaged by floodwaters. Flood vent installation also has the potential to lower your flood insurance premium significantly.
Homeowners who had their premiums lowered after flood vent installation enjoyed an average savings of 83% on their flood insurance policies.
SMART VENT Flood Vents open automatically to equalize water pressure
During a storm surge, floodwaters can impose extreme loads against foundation walls. The force of floodwaters and waves can cause a foundation wall to cave in or collapse.
Once this happens, the entire house is exposed to more severe damage.
The most effective way to blunt this destructive force is to provide a path through foundation walls so that water pressure can equalize inside and outside the foundation.
SMART VENT Flood Vents perform this task flawlessly.
Flood vents are required in foundations built below Base Flood Elevation (BFE) in a flood zone.
Request a Free Estimate When floodwater comes into contact with the vent, an internal float mechanism unlatches the door, allowing it to pivot open. Unlike a screened vent that will trap debris and impede water movement, the Flood Vent provides a clear, clog-free opening that allows floodwater to flow in and out. The vent stays open as long as the water level is high enough to reach the vent opening.
SMART VENT Benefits
- Meets building code, FEMA & National Flood Insurance Program requirements.
- Models available for both vented and sealed crawl spaces.
- Flood Vents for sealed crawl spaces include insulation and weather stripping for enhanced energy efficiency.
- Suitable for new construction or retrofit applications.
- Stainless steel construction to resist corrosion.
SMART VENT Specs
- 8-in. X 16-in. vent size matches standard crawl space vent openings.
- Mounting flange makes installation quick and easy.
- 5 different finishes available to match house colors.
- Each vent protects 200sq.ft. of enclosed area.
- Made in America.
- Flood Vent models available for installation in garage doors, wood-framed walls and other locations.
SMART VENT Flood Vents come in two styles
Insulated flood vents are ideal for sealed crawl spaces and insulated walls –any application where flood protection is desired but ventilation is not. With this style of flood vent, the vent door is made from rigid foam insulation surrounded by a durable skin of 316 marine-grade stainless steel. In the “closed” position, weather stripping around the door keeps exterior air out of the crawl space.
Alternatively, it’s possible to have SMART VENT Flood Vents installed that contain operable louvers for controlled ventilation into the crawl space. The louvers automatically pivot open or closed based on exterior temperature. For durability and corrosion resistance, louvered SMART VENT Flood Vents are also constructed from 316 marine grade stainless steel.
Use SMART VENT Flood Vents in foundation walls and other locations:
- Crawl space & basement walls
- Garage walls and overhead doors
- Enclosed walls in breakaway foundations
Be certain, safe and smart about flood protection. Call today for a free foundation inspection and SMART VENT Flood Vent estimate. Call 1-770-415-2030.