The Problem with Open Crawl Space Vents
Initially believed to promote air circulation in your crawl space, open vents are now known to actually cause moisture-related issues under your home. Vents can be sealed to create a better crawl space environment!
With almost 30 years of service and industry leading crawl space encapsulation, AquaGuard addresses the issues that come from open vents. This page will guide you through the history of crawl space vents, the challenges they pose, and the benefits of professional, customized repairs for your residence.
What Are Open Crawl Space Vents?
Designed originally to adhere to building codes and mitigate moisture, open crawl space vents are rooted in old construction practices. However, these vents often lead to more problems than they solve, including:
- High humidity under your home
- Musty odors in your home
- Mold growth
- Pest infestations
- High energy bills
- Sagging floors
- Wet insulation
These issues can seriously compromise the structural integrity of your home and your health. If you notice these signs or discover open vents on your property, it’s vital to reach out to crawl space experts like AquaGuard Foundation Solutions without delay.
Why Your Home Has Open Crawl Space Vents
Until the mid-20th century, the prevailing thought was that vents in crawl spaces would enhance air circulation and minimize moisture. This belief has since been disproven.
Research in the 1990s revealed that these vents actually permit moisture to enter, adversely impacting a home’s energy efficiency and making it difficult to maintain consistent indoor temperatures.
Consequently, the use of crawl space vents has markedly declined in recent years. Building regulations have evolved to favor vent sealing and crawl space encapsulation.
Nowadays, sealing these vents is a common practice following a comprehensive crawl space inspection. Sealed vents are acknowledged as a more effective method for maintaining a dry crawl space environment.
Can You Fix Open Crawl Space Vents?
Certainly, it is possible to effectively address open crawl space vents. However, makeshift DIY solutions are insufficient; a complete home solution is crucial for lasting results.
Tackling this issue necessitates a comprehensive approach, considering every aspect of your crawl space. Sealing crawl space vents as part of an all-encompassing encapsulation system can transform your damp, unhealthy crawl space into a clean, dry, and well-conditioned space.
Boasting over two decades of experience in handling crawl space moisture problems, our experts at AquaGuard Foundation Solutions are skilled in identifying the root causes and improving your crawl space with expert solutions.
How to Fix Open Crawl Space Vents
The most effective way to deal with open crawl space vents is through crawl space encapsulation. AquaGuard Foundation Solutions’ step-by-step crawl space encapsulation process includes:
- Detailed inspection to identify specific problems and their underlying causes.
- Sealing crawl space vents and replacing access doors to block external air and water.
- Installing an interior drainage system and sump pump to remove water.
- Placing drainage matting to direct water into the drainage system.
- Applying thermal insulation panels to walls for temperature control.
- Encapsulating the floor and walls with a vapor barrier.
- Installing a dehumidifier to manage humidity.
- Adding IntelliJack™ support posts for extra protection.
- Conducting regular maintenance checks for ongoing protection.
Choosing AquaGuard Foundation Solutions means opting for a solution customized to your needs, backed by our proprietary products, known for their exceptional performance and longevity.
Watch the video from our friends at Groundworks to see why sealing crawl space vents is helpful for your crawl space and home.
Why Address Open Crawl Space Vents Now
Promptly dealing with open crawl space vents is essential for several reasons, including:
- Preventing Structural Damage: Timely action can prevent costly repairs and save you money since your home is protected.
- Enhancing Indoor Air Quality: Since much of the air in your home comes from the crawl space, sealed vents lead to a healthier living space.
- Improving Energy Efficiency: Effective insulation and sealing can significantly lower energy bills.
- Avoiding Pest Infestations: A dry crawl space is less inviting to pests.
- Boosting Property Value: Homes with resolved crawl space issues are more attractive to potential buyers.
AquaGuard Foundation Solutions’ specialized solutions merge expertise with premium products for top-tier results.
Contact AquaGuard Foundation Solutions for Reliable Crawl Space Solutions
If your home is affected by open crawl space vents, don’t hesitate to tackle the problem. AquaGuard Foundation Solutions provides the necessary products, diagnostics, and expertise to fully encapsulate your crawl space.
Our unique products and holistic approach set us apart from typical encapsulation services. Contact us today to schedule a free crawl space inspection and receive a no-obligation repair estimate.
Last Modified Date: