What are Helical Piers?
When your foundation is built on soil with low load-bearing capacity, the soil can give way under the weight of your house, causing settlement and foundation damage. Helical piers stabilize settling foundations by connecting footings and walls to more stable load-bearing soils deep below your home’s foundation.
As the name suggests, helical piers are piers made of steel piers with a set of screw-like helical blades on the lower section. These helical blades help to advance the pier deep into the soil during installation and anchor it in place when load-bearing soil is reached. In many instances, helical piers will also lift and level your home by the time the installation is completed.
At AquaGuard Foundation Solutions, we offer helical pier installation for foundation repair in Atlanta and throughout northern Georgia. Our Helical Pier System will permanently stabilize your foundation, restoring your home’s safety and your peace of mind. We offer FREE foundation inspections, during which one of our foundation specialists will inspect your home and provide a free helical pier installation quote. We can customize a system that is ideal for your foundation and soil conditions.
Our Helical Pier System Advantages:
- Year-round installation
- Lifetime structural warranty
- Galvanized steel design available for rust resistance
- Suitable for both heavy and light loads
- Does not rely on the weight of structure for depth and capacity
- Round shaft has high resistance to bending
- Provides the opportunity to lift the foundation to the original position
How do Helical Pier Systems Work?
When the soil below a home is unable to support the weight of the structure, the home will settle. This often leads to cracked, uneven foundations—in the worst cases, it can lead to extreme structural damage throughout the house.
Many things can cause soil to weaken and become unable to support a home’s weight, such as poorly-compacted fill soil, moisture changes, and soil washout. Luckily, the undisturbed soil deep below your foundation is more compact and able to support heavier loads.
Helical piers are driven to this deep, stable soil below your foundation. This creates a solid support base that transfers the weight of your home to stronger, more stable soil and bedrock. This makes helical piers the ideal fix for scenarios where surface soil has proven incapable of supporting your home’s weight.
The Helical Pier Installation Process:
Helical piers can be installed from either the exterior or interior of your home, providing an opportunity to lift your home back to its original position by the end of the installation time.
- Remove Soil: First, we remove the soil from the area where each helical pier is going to be installed.
- Drive Piers: We start by advancing each helical pier section into the soil. This is done by mechanically screwing the piers. The first section of the pier has one or more helical blades welded to the shaft. Additional sections do not have bearing plates, and are instead used to extend the pier to the necessary installation depth.
- Install Steel Brackets: Once proper depths and capacities are achieved, we position heavy-duty steel foundation brackets below and against your foundation footing.
- Transfer Weight: After we install the steel brackets, the weight of your home can be transferred through the helical piers to stronger soil.
- Lift Home: Once the weight of the home is transferred, we can attempt to lift your home back to its original position by making adjustments to the piers.
- Replace Soil: After the entire process is complete, we carefully replace the soil around your home’s foundation.
When are Helical Piers Used?
Helical piers are most often used to underpin foundations that are vulnerable to settlement due to unstable soil conditions. Knowledge of the local soil conditions is often the first step in determining whether helical piers will be an effective solution for foundation repair. At AquaGuard Foundation Solutions, our foundation repair experts have the knowledge needed to find the solution that’s best for your home.
Foundation Pier Application Chart
|Removal and Replacement||Concrete Underpinning||Concrete Piers||Helical Piers||Push Piers|
|New Construction Of Home Or Addition|
|Can Be Installed From Home’s Interior|
|Installation Usually Completed In Less Than One Week|
|Lowest Risk When Local Soil Information Is Unknown|
|Stabilize Light Structures Such As Decks Or Stoops|
|Limited Disturbance To Lawn and Landscaping|
|Solution Extends Past Troubled Soils|
|Permanently Stabilize Foundation Without Maintenance|
|Ability To Lift Home Back To Level|
Helical Pier Goals
With ideal soil conditions, the following goals can be accomplished with push piers:
- Repair and stabilize the foundation with minimal disturbance
- Lift the house back to its original position
- Stabilize lighter structures, such as decks or stoops
- Offer a fast, effective solution for foundation repair
- Restore your property value
- Close cracks caused by settlement
- Improve the operation of doors and windows
- Permanently stabilize your foundation
Your Certified Helical Pier Installers In Georgia!
At AquaGuard Foundation Solutions, we’re proud of our permanent, warrantied solutions for foundation settlement of all types. Our team of in-house, certified foundation repair experts has repaired thousands of settling foundations throughout Georgia, and we’re ready to help you.
If you would like a free foundation helical pier installation quote, call or email us today! Each of our quotes comes with no obligation and includes an on-site inspection, free consultation, and a proposal highlighting exactly what’s needed to permanently repair your home’s specific foundation needs.
We’re proud to serve all of Metro Atlanta, Marietta, Athens, Rome, Blue Ridge, Carrollton, Conyers, Peachtree City, Gainesville, and surrounding areas in North Georgia.