What are Helical Piers?
As the name suggests, helical piers are piers made of steel with a set of helical blades on the lower section that provide foundation support for residential to commercial properties. These piers are pushed into the soil beneath your foundation using either small construction or hand equipment. As they are installed, the helical piers will transfer the weight of your home’s foundation from unstable soil to more competent soil. Engineers work to place the push piers at the perfect depth and load-bearing capacity, ensuring your home’s foundation is permanently stabilized. In many instances, helical piers will also lift and level your home by the time the installation is completed.
Foundation Supportworks’ Helical Pier System Technical Features:
- Year-round installation
- Lifetime, structural warranty
- Galvanized steel design available for rust resistance
- Suitable for both heavy and light loads
- Does not rely on the weight of structure for depth and capacity
- Round shaft has high resistance to bending
- Provides the opportunity to lift the foundation to the original position
How do Helical Pier Systems Work for Structural Foundation Repair?
Foundations will experience settlement issues when the soil below the house proves unable to support the weight of the structure. Many scenarios can contribute to weakened soil, with poorly-compacted fill soil and extreme moisture changes being the main culprits. Lucky, the undisturbed soil deep below your foundation is more compact and able to support heavier loads.
As a deep foundation solution, helical piers are the ideal fix for situations where shallow soil proves incapable of supporting a building’s weight. Helical pier systems work by creating a solid supporting base that transfers the weight of your home downwards to stronger deep soil and bedrock.
The Helical Pier Installation Process:
Helical piers can be installed from either the exterior or interior of your home, providing an opportunity to lift your home back to its original position by the end of the installation time.
- First, the soil is removed from the area where the helical pier will be installed.
- Helical pier sections are mechanically screwed, or advanced, into the soil. The first section of the pier that is advanced into the ground has one or more helical blades (or “bearing plates“) welded to the shaft. Additional sections do not have bearing plates, and are instead used to extend the pier to the necessary installation depth.
- Once proper depths and capacities are achieved, heavy duty steel foundation brackets are positioned below and against the foundation footing.
- The weight of the home is then transferred through the helical piers to deep, competent soils.
- Lifting the home back towards its original position is attempted.
- The soil around the foundation is carefully replaced.
When are Helical Piers Used?
Knowledge of the local soil conditions is often the first step in determining the effectiveness of helical piers as a deep foundation repair solution. With this knowledge, your foundation repair contractor will know exactly how deep the piers would need to be installed to reach a soil layer that protects your home or business. With ideal soil conditions, the following goals can be accomplished with push piers:
- Lifting a house back to its original position.
- Stabilizing lighter structures, such as decks or stoops.
- Installing a foundation repair solution with minimal disturbance.
- Finding a fast, effective solution for foundation repair.
- Restoring your property value is a priority.
- Closing cracks caused by settlement.
- Improving the operation of doors and windows.
- Permanently stabilizing your foundation.
Foundation Pier Application Chart
|Removal and Replacement||Concrete Underpinning||Concrete Piers||Helical Piers||Push Piers|
|New Construction Of Home Or Addition|
|Can Be Installed From Home’s Interior|
|Installation Usually Completed In Less Than One Week|
|Lowest Risk When Local Soil Information Is Unknown|
|Stabilize Light Structures Such As Decks Or Stoops|
|Limited Disturbance To Lawn and Landscaping|
|Solution Extends Past Troubled Soils|
|Permanently Stabilize Foundation Without Maintenance|
|Ability To Lift Home Back To Level|
Your Certified Helical Pier Installers In Georgia!
At AquaGuard Foundation Solutions, we’re proud of our permanent, warrantied solutions for foundation settlement of all types. Our team of in-house, certified foundation repair experts have repaired thousands of settling foundations throughout Georgia, and we’re ready to help you.
If you would like a free foundation helical pier installation quote, call or email us today! Each of our quotes comes with no obligation and includes an on-site inspection, free consultation, and a proposal highlighting exactly what’s needed to permanently repair your home’s specific foundation needs.
We’re proud to serve all of Metro Atlanta, Marietta, Athens, Rome, Blue Ridge, Carrollton, Conyers, Peachtree City, Gainesville, and surrounding areas in North Georgia.