What are Helical Piers?
As the name suggests, helical piers are piers made of steel with a set of helical blades on the lower section that provide foundation support for residential to commercial properties. These piers are pushed into the soil beneath your foundation using either small construction or hand equipment. As they are installed, the helical piers will transfer the weight of your home’s foundation from unstable soil to more competent soil. Engineers work to place the push piers at the perfect depth and load-bearing capacity, ensuring your home’s foundation is permanently stabilized. In many instances, helical piers will also lift and level your home by the time the installation is completed.
Foundation Supportworks’ Helical Pier System Features:
- Year-round installation
- Lifetime structural warranty
- Galvanized steel design available for rust resistance
- Suitable for both heavy and light loads
- Does not rely on the weight of structure for depth and capacity
- Round shaft has high resistance to bending
- Provides the opportunity to lift the foundation to the original position
How do Helical Pier Systems Work?
When the soil below a home is unable to support the weight of the structure, the home will settle. This often leads to cracked, uneven foundations—in the worst cases, it can lead to extreme structural damage throughout the house.
Many circumstances can cause soil to weaken and become unable to support a home’s weight. Some of these circumstances include poorly-compacted fill soil, extreme moisture changes, and soil washout. Luckily, the undisturbed soil deep below your foundation is more compact and able to support heavier loads.
Helical piers are driven to this deep, stable soil below your foundation. This creates a solid support base that transfers the weight of your of your home to stronger, more stable soil and bedrock. This makes helical piers the ideal fix for scenarios where surface soil has proven incapable of supporting your home’s weight.
The Helical Pier Installation Process:
Helical piers can be installed from either the exterior or interior of your home, providing an opportunity to lift your home back to its original position by the end of the installation time.
- Remove Soil: First, we remove the soil from the area where each helical pier is going to be installed.
- Drive Piersl: We start by advancing each helical pier section into the soil. This is done by mechanically screwing the piers. The first section of the pier has one or more helical blades welded to the shaft. Additional sections do not have bearing plates, and are instead used to extend the pier to the necessary installation depth.
- Install Steel Brackets: Once proper depths and capacities are achieved, we position heavy duty steel foundation brackets below and against your foundation footing.
- Transfer Weight: After we install the steel brackets, the weight of your home can be transferred through the helical piers to stronger soil.
- Lift Home: Once the weight of the home is transferred, we can attempt to lift your home back to its original position by making adjustments to the piers.
- Replace Soil: After the entire process is complete, we carefully replace soil around your home’s foundation.
When are Helical Piers Used?
Helical piers are most often used to underpin foundations that are vulnerable to settlement due to unstable soil conditions. Knowledge of the local soil conditions is often the first step in determining whether helical piers will be an effective solution for foundation repair. At AquaGuard Foundation Solutions, our foundation repair experts have the knowledge needed to find the solution that’s best for your home.
Foundation Pier Application Chart
|Removal and Replacement||Concrete Underpinning||Concrete Piers||Helical Piers||Push Piers|
|New Construction Of Home Or Addition|
|Can Be Installed From Home’s Interior|
|Installation Usually Completed In Less Than One Week|
|Lowest Risk When Local Soil Information Is Unknown|
|Stabilize Light Structures Such As Decks Or Stoops|
|Limited Disturbance To Lawn and Landscaping|
|Solution Extends Past Troubled Soils|
|Permanently Stabilize Foundation Without Maintenance|
|Ability To Lift Home Back To Level|
Helical Pier Advantages
With ideal soil conditions, the following goals can be accomplished with push piers:
- Repairing and stabilizing a foundation with minimal disturbance
- Lifting a house back to its original position
- Stabilizing lighter structures, such as decks or stoops
- Finding a fast, effective solution for foundation repair
- Restoring your property value is a priority
- Closing cracks caused by settlement
- Improving the operation of doors and windows.
- Permanently stabilizing your foundation.
Your Certified Helical Pier Installers In Georgia!
At AquaGuard Foundation Solutions, we’re proud of our permanent, warrantied solutions for foundation settlement of all types. Our team of in-house, certified foundation repair experts have repaired thousands of settling foundations throughout Georgia, and we’re ready to help you.
If you would like a free foundation helical pier installation quote, call or email us today! Each of our quotes comes with no obligation and includes an on-site inspection, free consultation, and a proposal highlighting exactly what’s needed to permanently repair your home’s specific foundation needs.
We’re proud to serve all of Metro Atlanta, Marietta, Athens, Rome, Blue Ridge, Carrollton, Conyers, Peachtree City, Gainesville, and surrounding areas in North Georgia.